It is that time of the year… we are all eating a little bit more than normal, having that extra treat and feeling the need for comfort food to get us through the dark mornings and the cold nights! It has been a while since we last posted, since then we have between us; devoured a large goose with all the trimmings, been on a sushi course, fallen in love with French cuisine and yes, baked more cakes! However, this post is dedicated to a warm, tasty, healthy meal that should be on everyone’s menu at this time of the year, the simple and yet wonderful Minestrone “ris acce’ e patan” (con verza) soup!
- 1 ½ medium onion
- 3 medium carrots
- 3 medium potatoes
- 2 celery sticks
- 1 small pointed cabbage
- 1 can of good quality tomatoes
- 180g risotto rice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 10 basil leaves
- Olive oil (frying and adding to soup)
- Parmesan cheese
- Chop the onions, carrots and potatoes into cubes and fry in 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Roughly chop the cabbage and add to the vegetables after 4 minutes. Continue to fry for 5 further minutes.
- Add the can of tomatoes and cover with boiling water. Cook for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Add the Risotto rice and cook for a further 18 minutes.
- Add parmesan cheese to taste and season.
- Add chopped garlic, basil and 1 tbsp oil (mixed into a pesto).
- Rest for 10 minutes.
Super yummy, super healthy and super easy!