If you bake fresh bread…you will impress. If you bake fresh bread and plait it, you will be legendary!
Following the same recipe and quantity in our earlier post: https://soberandhungry.wordpress.com/2013/02/10/plaited-wholemeal-bread/ We also added some sunflower seeds to this recipe – a good handful is all you need. Fold it into the dough when you knock it back.
- Split the dough into four balls and roll out into long strands.
- Create a two strand cross, crossing the strands one over the other so each strand is over and under the strand in the cross
- Take the bottom left hand strand and cross it across the bottom right hand strand
- Repeat four times in an anti-clockwise fashion i.e. right bottom over right top etc (the diagrams below help!)
- Once each strand has been crossed, repeat in a clockwise fashion
- Continue the instructions above until you reach the end of the bread and tuck under neatly
- Preheat the oven to 220C
- Cover the loaf and return to a warm place for 30 minutes until it has risen to about one-and-a-half times its size.
- Bake the loaf in the oven for 10 minutes at 220C
- Reduce the heat to 190C and bake for a further 30 minutes
- The loaf is cooked when it is risen and golden and sounds hollow when tapped underneath