I have a friend who loves cake and ale. There was only one cake that came to mind for her birthday; a Porter Cake. Yum.
- 175g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 450g raisins
- Grated zest (on the large setting) of 2 medium oranges and juice 1.5 oranges
- 175g soft brown sugar
- 200ml Sainsbury’s London Porter
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 beaten medium eggs
- 300g plain flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
For the topping
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds
- 2 tbsp Demerara sugar
- Heat oven to 150C/fan 130C. Butter and line the base and sides of two tin loafs. Put the butter, raisins, orange zest and juice, sugar and porter in a large pan. Bring slowly to the boil, stirring until the boil, stirring until the butter has dissolved, then simmer for 10 mins.
- Cool for 10 mins, then stir in the bicarbonate of soda. The mixture will foam up.
- Stir the eggs into the pan, then sift in the flour and spice and mix well. Pour into the prepared tins, smooth the top with the back of a spoon and sprinkle with the flaked almonds and demerara sugar. Bake for 1 hour and cool in the tin for 15 mins, then turn out and cool on a wire rack.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY WEATHERBANTS
Inspired by the BBC good food recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/138098/recipe/porter-cake